[Exim] FreeBSD, Exim and Spamassassin.

Autor: Mike Richardson
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] FreeBSD, Exim and Spamassassin.
Yann,

> What is the best way to do spam filtering using Exim on FreeBSD?

Its a trick questions isn't it?

The best way to do spam filtering using Exim on FreeBSD is to get
Exim to deliver the message unscanned then let the user and their desktop
anti-spam tool do the filtering.

Assuming that the FreeBSD box is a final delivery box and you don't
have several hundred thousand users then exim, exiscan and spamassassin
can be used. I've not tried it this way but it should be possible to
allow some per user settings, such as threshold, stored in a database
to give the user some control.

By default I'd deliver spam to a separate folder in the users'
accounts and either give them the responsibility of regularly deleting
their spam (before their quota is exceeded) or use maildir and cron a
'tidy up' which deletes files in the folder older than, say, 7 days.

Of course this depends on how you expect users to access mail, clients etc.

If you are talking about mailhubs then don't bother, it is more hassle
than it is worth.

Mike
--
-----Plain text only please - attachments stripped on arrival.------
Copyright 2003       Mike Richardson, Room G98, Manchester Computing