Re: [Exim] Refuse connection if no MX for sending host

Author: Tony Finch
CC: Tony Finch
Subject: Re: [Exim] Refuse connection if no MX for sending host

Yes, and it's <postmaster> not <postmaster@???>.

> > See my previous
> > comment about not supporting email delivery to arbitrary computers.
>
> I never said anything about supporting e-mail delivery to arbitrary
> computers. If you re-read my very simple question above you'll
> hopefully understand that I asked only why you wouldn't publish an MX
> for the host domain name of every _mail_server_ -- i.e. those systems
> which do already accept e-mail delivery by way of SMTP.

We also don't support the use of arbitrary host names as email domains
(including the host names of SMTP servers). We don't implement RFC 2142
because we believe that email addresses should have a good degree of
reliability and permanence, and it is currently impossible to ensure that
all the role addresses work for all the tens of thousands of computers
in the University. (e.g. what about intermittently available hosts?)

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch <dot@???> http://dotat.at/
SOUTH UTSIRE FORTIES CROMARTY: WESTERLY BACKING SOUTHWESTERLY 5 OR 6.