Re: [Exim] problem relaying

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Dan Keshet
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] problem relaying
On 2003-10-26 at 00:41 -0400, Dan Keshet wrote:
> Yes, that was it. I was checking for "localhost" first, and when they
> didn't have a hostname, it failed. Thank you very very much.

Meep!

I'm a big fan of having, at the very least, localhost in /etc/hosts.
Preferably also entries for the addresses of the local interfaces and
the address of the default route (many netstat(1)s don't let you resolve
port numbers to names without also doing DNS resolution, and having
_some_ name for the default route IP in /etc/hosts can massively
increase the odds of the command completing in a reasonable amount of
time.

Those, and any RFC1918 address space which is directly connected, are
all that should normally go in /etc/hosts without a thorough
appreciation of the consequences if you let the data get out of sync.
--
2001: Blogging invented. Promises to change the way people bore strangers with
banal anecdotes about their pets. <http://www.thelemon.net/issues/timeline.php>