Re: [Exim] Refuse connection if no MX for sending host

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Exim Users Mailing List
Para: Jeff Lasman
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Refuse connection if no MX for sending host
[ On Friday, October 24, 2003 at 18:46:38 (-0700), Jeff Lasman wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [Exim] Refuse connection if no MX for sending host
>
> We publish MX records for all our domains. But we do not publish MX
> records for all our systems that can send mail. We allow and accept
> both postmaster@domain and abuse@domain for each domain, but not for
> each host. That's entirely within RFC guidelines.

Well, may not be quite so bad, provided that you also never allow the
hostnames to be used in any address, and provided that you do accept
mail for the unqualified mailbox <postmaster> at each SMTP server, as
well as for <postmaster@[N.N.N.N]> (i.e. at the host IP address of each
SMTP server).

However if your mailers might use their hostname in any address then
you're also doing a disservice to the internet community as a whole.
It'll also get your hosts listed immediately in at least the postmaster
zone at rfc-ignorant.org, and probably eventually the abuse zone as
well.

> If you get mail you don't like from me@??? (and you
> most likely won't) what you should do is send a complaint either to
> abuse@??? or to postmaster@???.

Nope, sorry, that's just hogwash.

You cannot expect any algorithm, or even most humans, to determine the
correct domain name for a given hostname.

Shall I send my complaints for your domain to <postmaster@net>?!?!?!?

It is your responsibility to accept e-mail, and in particular at the
postmaster mailbox, at every domain you use/allow in outgoing mail. To
do otherwise is to do a disservice to the internet community as a whole.

I don't know for sure what you might mean by "nobaloney", but I would
suggest that what you're trying to say is full of baloney! :-)
(Sorry, I just couldn't resist! Thanks for the implicit opening line! :-)

--
                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                  VE3TCP            RoboHack <woods@???>