Re: [Exim] Refuse connection if no MX for sending host

Author: Jeff Lasman
Subject: Re: [Exim] Refuse connection if no MX for sending host
On Friday 24 October 2003 17:00, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> In the mean time you should simply remember to publish MX records for
> all your e-mail domains, including those also used as hostnames for
> your mailers.

Greg, I've managed to avoid responding to this thread since the
beginning, but I've decided, what the heck; it's Friday evening, and
I'm almost done for the night, so I might as well chime in.

We publish MX records for all our domains. But we do not publish MX
records for all our systems that can send mail. We allow and accept
both postmaster@domain and abuse@domain for each domain, but not for
each host. That's entirely within RFC guidelines.

If you get mail you don't like from me@??? (and you
most likely won't) what you should do is send a complaint either to
abuse@??? or to postmaster@???. Doing otherwise should
get you nowhere and in the case of our systems probably will. We do
not accept email on the majority of our systems, though all of them are
capable of sending mail. (Many of them do not run an SMTP daemon but
do have an SMTP server installed that may be called from the command
line if necessary.)

If for that reason you chose to not accept email from us, that's fine.

Note that I'm quite good at not responding to flames but if you offer a
sensible rebuttal I'll respond as time permits.

Note that flames to my personal address are not solicited; if you read
my sig you'll probably notice that I don't read mail to my blists
address unless it's sent to one of the lists to which I subscribe.

Thanks for your time.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA 92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation