Re: [Exim] synchronization error (input sent without waiting…

Author: Steve C. Lamb
To: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [Exim] synchronization error (input sent without waiting for greeting)
--
On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 11:07:43AM +0200, Thomas Baumann wrote:
> I just want to ask once more how to avoid these messages

    This is an early morning stab at an answer, forgive me if I'm wrong...

> SMTP protocol violation: synchronization error \
> (input sent without waiting for greeting): rejected connection from H=....

    This says what it means, really.

> The same problem appears when I perform a
> netcat smtprelay 25 << EOF
> HELO mail
> MAIL FROM: test@???
> RCPT TO: target@???
> DATA
> From: test@???
> To: target@???
> Subject: test it
>
> ....this is a test

    I bet that you could get it in 2 lines.

HELO mail
MAIL FROM: test@???

    Because netcat (and apparently Lotus' server) is not waiting for the 250
from the server after HELO before sending MAIL FROM:.  This is forgivable in
netcat, not so in the Lotus server.  The proper way would be to get the Lotus
server to actually speak SMTP instead of doing the equivolant of shouting it.
Another way would be to turn off that checking in Exim if possible.

    See:
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.20/doc/html/spec_13.html#SECT13.16

    Search on:
smtp_enforce_sync