Re: [Exim] Drop connection if sender's domain doesn't match …

Author: Steve C. Lamb
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Drop connection if sender's domain doesn't match MX
--
On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 09:56:11PM -0700, Kevin W. Reed wrote:
> Rick Duvall said:
> > Maybe a combination of 2 and 3. People can spoof the domain portion of
> > their email address. But if we can proove that the IP they are coming
> > from doesn't serve that domain, we can successfully reject it, right?

> That might be a stretch too. If you can't get a connection while waiting
> to accept the message, are you going to assume it is bad? There are lots
> of times there are delays and many domains have multiple servers for
> inbound mail that don't always respond on the first try.

    Not to mention how would you prove they are spoofing their domain?

    Here's where for the past 2 years (until a few days ago) my mail was
hosted by me.  Never in two years did I have a whisper of a complaint filed
against me for spam or any other kind of abuse.  I did it with the full
knowledge and consent of my provider.  In fact, I'm pretty miffed I can't keep
them through a 2nd move.

{grey@dmiyu:~} host teleute.dmiyu.org
teleute.dmiyu.org       A       66.51.217.42
{grey@dmiyu:~} host 66.51.217.42
Name: adsl-66.51.217.42.dslextreme.com
Address: 66.51.217.42

    One would think that would be rejected since I've "spoofed" my domain and
clearly am not sending mail for dslextreme.com.  In truth I just didn't want
to bother them with a request for a reverse record.

    On a tangent in those 2 years only one message was ever refused because my
forward and reverse DNS didn't match.  Ironically enough it was a complaint to
abuse@??? about one of their customers spamming.  :/  I'd hate to see for
the practice to rise even though it would no longer affect me.