Re: [Exim] Refuse connection if no MX for sending host

Autor: Kevin W. Reed
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Refuse connection if no MX for sending host
Rick Duvall said:
> Is there a way to refuse an SMTP connection if the connecting host doesn't
> have an MX record in DNS? Is there a downside to doing this?

I don't think there is an RFC requirement that a sending mail server have
an MX record that points to it if that is what you are asking. If you are
attempting to match the MX record to the actual host/IP that is connecting
to you you are going to have a lot of problems getting mail.

MX records are for receiving mail. It is used when you need to send mail
back to them. Even then, they are not required, and a lot of sites don't
have one but instead rely on the domain/hostname the have an A record that
tells you where the server is.

--
Kevin W. Reed - TNET Services, Inc.
Unoffical Exim MTA Info Forums - http://exim.got-there.com/forums