[Exim] Piping Incoming and Outgoing EMail to Another Proces…

Author: Huw Evans
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Piping Incoming and Outgoing EMail to Another Process
Hello Everyone. I have read the FAQ (Q9810 et al) about taking copies of incoming and outgoing email messages. I have two questions:

1. I would like to take a copy of all incoming and outgoing email from a single instance of exim and send it to another process, that is possibly executing on another machine. Could I perform the copying for incoming email within a systems filter, possibly calling out to a shell and executing a standard Unix utility?

2. In some of the emails in response to the copying of email I notice that Nigel Metheringham and others mention the legality of doing this in the UK. Would anyone have any more information on the ramifications of such copying? For example, if an employee had agreed to this in their terms and conditions, would such copying be OK, or would we run afowl of European (or possibly UK) legislation?

Regards
Huw Evans