Re: [Exim] IP address lookups - opinions wanted

Author: James P. Roberts
To: exim, Richard Lithvall, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] IP address lookups - opinions wanted
----- Original Message -----
From: "Terry Shows" <exim@???>
To: "Richard Lithvall" <richard@???>; <exim-users@???>
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 12:06 PM

> Don't forget the /etc/resolv.conf file in your discussion.
>
> I would suggest either giving us an option to define search orders, or to
> read the system configuration files (if available) to decide.
>
> Terry Shows

I agree with this position. I already went through the effort to configure my
system files to specify a desired search order, and it would be nice if Exim
would pick this up without my having to tell it again.

I am only a RedHat Linux person, not a general unix/linux guru, so I do not
know how system specific this would be. But I agree with Terry's opinion as a
target.

Having an Exim specific configuration available to over-ride system settings
(or in place of missing system settings), would be good. Again, I don't
consider myself an expert here, but I can imagine someone might want Exim to
do the search differently than other applications on their server. Not me,
but I could imagine it.

Suggestion:
(1) Use order specified in Exim config, if it exists.
(2) If not, use system files if they exist.
(3) If not, default to what Philip suggested.

Regards,
Jim Roberts
Punster Productions, Inc.