Re: [Exim] Re: How to try more than one router?

Author: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: How to try more than one router?
On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 05:02:08PM -0400, Daniel M. Drucker wrote:
> > Using
> > #/bin/sh
> > echo quit | nc -w 1 -i 1 smarthost.myothersite.org smtp
> >
> > instead of ping might work better.

> Ooh! I like that even better than the other one, because this way, if my
> smarthost goes down for a moment (deferring a message), it can still be used
> for that message on retry if it has come back up in the interim.

Please triplecheck how netcat behaves on different errors (host does
not respond, does not close connection, any packages sent to host are
fitered, etc.) before really using this, or wrap it in
Package: timeout
timeout executes a command and imposes an elapsed time limit. When the
time limit is reached, timeout sends a predefined signal to the target
process.

             cu andreas