Re: [Exim] AUTH= support for lmtp transport

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Pat Lashley
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Kevin P. Fleming, Exim Users Mailing List
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] AUTH= support for lmtp transport
--On Monday, October 13, 2003 18:51:50 -0700 "Kevin P. Fleming"
<kpfleming@???> wrote:

>> I'd think that the easiest solution in your situation would be to
>> just change the default ACL for new mailboxes to include 'anyone p'.
>> Then customers who do have some understanding of ACLs have the
>> freedom to block direct delivery to some submailboxes... No MTA
>> config support required...
>>

> And no users who have understanding of mailbox ACLs, or have ever
> asked about restricting mail to their subfolders. Also, the users
> don't have a tool to manipulate their ACLs easily, since they've never
> asked I've never installed one, and they primarily use Outlook Express
> as an MUA. In this case, setting this up on the MTA side was the best
> alternative, because there's no management required on my part nor theirs.

There's a certain amount of chicken-and-egg thing going on here.
They won't ask if they don't know it's available; or even possible.
If you don't tell them, they won't know...

I still maintain that the best solution for your situation is to change
the default ACL for new (sub)mailboxes. (And manually change the ACLs
on existing ones.) No further management required. No specific MTA
support required. That way you get the default ability for a user to
create a sub-mailbox using their ACL-ignorant MUA, and use it for direct
delivery; but you also maintain the ability for the more knowlegable
user with an ACL-aware MUA to use the full power of the ACL system.

-Pat