Re: [Exim] Fallback to smarthost on 5xx?

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: Matthew Byng-Maddick
To: exim-users
題目: Re: [Exim] Fallback to smarthost on 5xx?
On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 09:04:30PM -0700, Avleen Vig wrote:
> This is probably a silly question, and it probably breaks RFC. If it
> does, please slap me.

Consider yourself slapped...

> I run my own mail server (MX+relay) on the end of a business cable
> connection.

Right... And, given how many people run Exchange as an open relay on
"business cable" connections, why should I trust them?

> Unfortuantely there are (urgh) idiots who are using DNSBL which block
> ALL broadband connection, regardless of if they're business or
> residential connections.

Why does it make a difference? As far as I'm concerned the two are just
as likely to be running the above setup. This is based on some experience,
and I don't think I'm silly in making this judgement.

> To the best of my knowledge, I have three options:
> 1) Live with it. Not my first choice.

I'm afraid this might be your best one.

> 2) Each time I find an organisation blocking me, complain to them and
>    add their MX to a smarthost route list.

Complaining to me isn't likely to make me whitelist you in any way. I'm
sure I'm not the only one with that policy. My response is very likely
to be, if you care that much, then get a co-lo.

> 3) Route everything through my ISP's relays. This isn't prefered either.

The nice thing about this from my point of view is that I have an obvious
point of contact if you're spamming.

> What I would *like* to do, is route messages through a smarthost, if
> they're rejected. The obvious problem with this is that the error given
> is usually a 5xx, which is to perm fail messages.

and perm fail means, what, in your mind, precisely?

> Any suggestions?

Live with it and use your smarthost, or get a co-lo.

MBM