Re: [Exim] Exim Config (minor) Problem?

Author: mpierce
To: Exim
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim Config (minor) Problem?
On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 06:37, Nico Erfurth wrote:
> mpierce wrote:
>
> > It appears that exim (exim-tls 3.35-3woody1) is not listening to my
> > local loopback connection since having to use dialup as I am getting the
> > following error when cron launches fetchmail every 15 minutes:
> >
> > fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
> > fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from
> > mail.optusnet.com.au
> > fetchmail: Query status=10 (SMTP)
>
> Have you tried telnet localhost 25 ?
> IIRC debian starts exim via inetd (don't ask me why ...), so maybe you
> should start there.
>
> Nico
>

> --

Yes, I tried that. This appears to be some sort of SMTP authentication
processing problem. Here is what I've done in trying to setup the
client:

1) root@libranet:/etc/exim# telnet mail.optusnet.com.au 25
Trying 211.29.132.13...
Connected to mail.optusnet.com.au.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail004.syd.optusnet.com.au ESMTP Sendmail 8.11.6p2/8.11.6;
Thu,                                                          9 Oct 2003
12:38:34 +1000
EHLO libranet
250-mail004.syd.optusnet.com.au Hello
winax28-b216.dialup.optusnet.c                                                         om.au [211.29.29.216], pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE 5000000
250-DSN
250-ONEX
250-ETRN
250-XUSR
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250 HELP
quit
221 2.0.0 mail004.syd.optusnet.com.au closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

2) echo -n '\0username\0password' | mimencode
XDBtcGllcmNlXDBtcnAwNzEzNQ==
    NB: I don't know if I've created this correctly as I can find no
documentation on this or if the file should just contain username
password.

3) Created /etc/exim.passwd with the following entry:
XDBtcGllcmNlXDBtcnAwNzEzN
    NB: What needs to be in this file?

4) vi exim.conf and uncommented sections plain and login:
 plain:
   driver = plaintext
   public_name = PLAIN
   client_send = "^username^password"
    NB: should I put username and password in above line?

 login:
   driver = plaintext
   public_name = LOGIN
   client_send = ": username : password"
    NB: does both sections need to be uncommented?

5) /etc/init.d/exim restart

Since it is not authenticating itself with the mail.optusnet.com.au
server, it is not picking up mail and the only way I can get mail is to
use the Evolution client. This is causing me to be buried in doing this
by passes fetchmail, exim, procmail, spamassassin, etc.