Re: [Exim] Avoiding frozen spam

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Avoiding frozen spam
On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 13:08:28 -0700 Mark Edwards wrote:

> I'm having a hard time following your recommendations, but they aren't
> clear to me.

use

SMTP

time

rejection

it

is

good

SPAMMER > MAIL FROM <evil.spammer@???>
YOU     < 250-Go right ahead, that is a "valid" address. Yahoo often
YOU     < 250-reject at DATA time so callouts don't work. But I
YOU     < 250-am going to fool myself into thinking that callouts
YOU     < 250-will stop me getting frozen bounces even though
YOU     < 250-it would be better not to generate bounces in the
YOU     < 250 first place
SPAMMER > RCPT TO: <you>
YOU     < 250 Go send that spam, I love frozen bounces!
SPAMMER > DATA
YOU     < 354-I can't wait for that yummy spam with iced bounce
YOU     < 354 for dessert!
SPAMMER > makey moolah fast!
SPAMMER > .
YOU     < 550-Hah! Fooled you! And no bounce generated either! But,
YOU     < 550-if by chance, you are some weirdo customer who manages
YOU     < 550-to send mails that are so spammy looking that they
YOU     < 550-score over our sensible, high, SpamAssassin 'kill'
YOU     < 550-limit, then you should probably win a prize. However,
YOU     < 550-to claim it you will actually need to contact us, and if
YOU     < 550-picking up the phone to tell us your e-mail didn't get
YOU     < 550-through is too much trouble then you can e-mail us at
YOU     < 550-notspamreally@??? and tell us about it!
YOU     < 550-You'll be able to do that coz you got this nice message
YOU     < 500-even though we didn't generate a bounce!
YOU     < 550 Hurrah!

http://duncanthrax.net/exiscan-acl/
http://marc.merlins.org/linux/exim/sa.html
http://www.timj.co.uk/linux/Exim-SpamAndVirusScanning.pdf