[Exim] Setting up virtual domain environment with multiple i…

Author: Kevin P. Fleming
To: amavis-user, Exim users list
Subject: [Exim] Setting up virtual domain environment with multiple instances
(I have posted this message to both amavis-user and exim-users; if you
see it in both places and are offended, please forgive me :-)

I am about to set up a server at a colocation facility to handle a
small number (under a dozen) of virtual domains. These domains will be
owned by clients, and they will have the ultimate say in
virus/spam/RBL/etc. filtering that may or may not be done for their
mail. Initially this will be via rules I set up, but later I will
offer them a control panel to modify the settings as they see fit.

Because I want to offer them so much flexibility, and because hardware
(RAM especially) is so cheap, I'm leaning towards actually having a
separate exim/amavisd-new/etc. instance running for each customer,
rather than trying to put them all into some magical combined
configuration. I've seen a number of "virtual domain" solutions for
exim that used a single instance, but I can't help but think that the
complications aren't worth the effort. Same goes for amavisd-new; it's
amazingly configurable, but when you factor in the requirements of a
few different customers, it would become difficult to ensure that the
correct results would always be produced (i.e. what if a message was
received addressed to two domains that this box is the MTA for with
radically different processing rules?).

Thoughts? I'm not looking to set up a high-volume ISP operation here,
just provide offloaded virus/spam/etc. filtering and mail queueing for
clients who don't want to manage that themselves and don't want the
extra junk mail traffic clogging their Internet connections.