[Exim] Retry question

Author: Ron McKeating
To: Exim-Users (E-mail)
Subject: [Exim] Retry question
Hi all, we had bit of a problem at the weekend when one of our mail
routers had a kaspersky problem and could not AV check email so refused
to accept it. The servers that were trying to route through the
mailrouter all backed up the weekends mail in their queues. So far so
good. The version of software are

Linux redhat 9 with the 2.4.21 kernel
Exim version 4.20

The (bowdlerized) error coming from the mailrouter was

2003-10-06 00:04:56 1A6Hvs-0000nl-I7 == fallreed@???
R=route_mailhost T=remote_smtp defer (0): SMTP error from remote mailer
after end of data: host XXX.lut.ac.uk [AAA.BBB.C.DDD]: 451 Temporary
local problem (unable to connect to kavdaemon UNIX socket
(/opt/AVP/AvpCtl). errno=2).

When I got in this morning I noticed we had 800 or so messages backed up
in the queue on one server, so I checked the mainlog for a message that
was due to go to the mailrouter (we have fixed the mailrouter first) and
did an exim/bin/exim -M on the message. And Lo it was delivered. I
thought exim would then realise that this server was back up and start
delivering the backlog, but it did not. So we a tidy hints

/usr/local/exim/bin/exim_tidydb /usr/local/exim/spool retry

and the delivered another message with -M and still all the other jobs
sat in the queue. Eventually I did a service exim restart and they
started to go.

So when you know a server has been down/unavailable for a while and you
want to kick off all the outstanding deliveries for that server how do
you do it. I cannot find anything in the command line options, all the
-M one requiere the mail id.

Ron