Re: [Exim] style guide and quick reference

Author: Tony Finch
To: exim
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] style guide and quick reference
Matthew Byng-Maddick <exim@???> wrote:

># we talked about defining address, host and domain lists here. I would
># be inclined to put them after the macro section as my lists often include
># things I define in macros

Yup.

>[main]
>[acl]
>[local scan]
># I'm not sure if I agree that authenticators belong at this point, but
># I suspect that it's a matter of opinion
>[authenticators]

I wasn't entirely sure where to put them. They're clearly acl-related,
but at a slightly more abstract level, and I think less acl-related
than local_scan, hence their position. I'm open to other ideas.

>All in all this seems nice, and it's probably sensible to have *some*
>sort of style guide. Makes stuff easy(ish) to follow. I don't know if
>some kind of style guide could be thought up for how to deal with expansion
>items, as in my limited experience these are often what confuses people
>when reading an exim configure file.

Yes :-) I avoided them because there aren't really any obvious rules to
apply because they're sufficiently different from other languages. I'd
like some guide as to how to space out expansions and where to put line
breaks, especially in complicated conditionals and lookups. Lispish?
Tclish?

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch <dot@???> http://dotat.at/
RATTRAY HEAD TO BERWICK ON TWEED: WEST 5 TO 7 OFTEN GALE 8, VEERS NORTHWEST.