Re: [Exim] Newbie - sendmail "nullclient" equivalent

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Richard Hopkins
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Newbie - sendmail "nullclient" equivalent
On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Richard Hopkins wrote:

> Ideally, I'd like to be able to use the MX records
> in the DNS for my "route_list" hosts but understand that I can't,

You can in current Exim releases. Read item 19 in the NewStuff document
for 4.21 or later.

> This is working well for me with the exception that when the queue of
> messages is processed, established SMTP connections are not being reused.
> Ideally, I'd like each "exim -q" process to pick one of the route_list
> hosts (at random) and send all messages in the queue to it (resuing the
> connection it's initially established). Is this possible?

Only if the messages were previously routed. Check the -qq options.
Normally Exim delivers messages as it receives them, so it doesn't batch
up messages. If a message fails to get delivered, it has been routed,
and should get batched up in a queue run. If, however, you are using a
configuration where messages are queued without being routed (queue_only
or similar), you need the -qq option to get a two-stage queue run that
does all the routing first. This is a fudge - it wasn't the way Exim was
designed to work.