[Exim] Mail Loop Question

Author: Dennis Skinner
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Mail Loop Question
Hello all,

I think this is a quick question. I have a user who is forwarding their
work email to their email on our system. They received a piece of spam
at work with that nasty V word in the subject line. I happen to have
the default regex in exiscan rejecting such messages during the DATA
phase of receipt.

The problem seems to be that the sending server sends the error back to
the user's work email which is forwarded to us, but that word is still
in the error message, so our server rejects it. I'm not exactly sure
what ultimately happens to this email. It sounds like he may turn off
the forwarding when he gets to work and finally, the error has someplace
to go.

This seems like a problem for their mail admin, not us. Thoughts?

I'm guessing the error message should be sent to the original sender,
not to the account that has the forwarding setup on it. Is their mail
server just using the wrong header to return the mail? It looks like
they have several servers that the mail bounces between, one of which is
an Exchange server (surprise, surprise).

Thanks!

--
Dennis Skinner
Systems Administrator