Re: [Exim] About Upgreading Exim 4.20 to 4.23

Author: Avleen Vig
To: Andreas Metzler, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] About Upgreading Exim 4.20 to 4.23
On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 11:47:05PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> >     How can I upgread exim without compile new verison ?

> Use an OS that does not require that you to compile your own packages.
> Examples: RedHat Linux (If Nigel has uploaded RPMs for 4.24), Debian
> GNU/Linux (not yet, I am wondering how to handle NewStuff 1a).

Or better yet, use a package system that DOES allow you to compile the
software specifically for your machine and with your customizations and
still manages the installation correctly.
</BSD advocate>

Forgive me, I don't know if RPM's or DPKG's can do this. I'm pretty
certain Sun's pkg system can't.

Upgrading on FreeBSD is extremely easy:
install protupgrade if it isn't installed already.
# portupgrade exim4[-mysql|-postgresql|-ldap2|-old]
# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/exim.sh stop
# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/exim.sh start

There was a change some time after 4.21 and before 4.24 in FreeBSD ports
which starts to make use of FreeBSD5's different startup script
structure. If you're using FreeBSD4, you need to install the rc_subr
port. After doing that you need to put exim_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf
or exim won't start :-)