Re: [Exim] acl for DATA command

Author: jzaw
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] acl for DATA command
On Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003, at 19:05 Europe/London, Andreas Metzler wrote:

> Yes. The only way to check whether a mesage contains an exe attachment
> is to look at it and you cannot do that if you haven't got the message.
> And even if you scanned the message while you were receiving it you
> could not immediately deny the message once you know that it contains
> an exe-attachment. - SMTP does not offer a command to interrupt the
> sending party and if you simply dropped the connection the sending
> side will requeue the mail and try later.
> cu andreas

brilliant that's very clear now, thanks Andreas, Sheldon and Nico

sounds like any future development of mail transfer protocols should
have payload info in the headers some way so that the headers could be
interrogated and email denied before the data is transfered

I guess I now have to look at denying as many emails at rcpt time as
poss
though to be honest there have been no reports of spam here and only
the M$ exe stuff
so it might be overkill

cheers
Zaw