Re: [Exim] permissions problem

Author: Pavel Gulchouck
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] permissions problem
On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 02:17:08PM +0100, Philip Hazel writes:
> > I understand reasons to drop root privilegies when -C specified
> > (but ALT_CONFIG_PREFIX and ALT_CONFIG_ROOT_ONLY makes this safe)
> > but what's reasons of drop privilegies when macros defined? It's
> > a branch of default config, and if I wrote it, I think that its
> > using is safe, isn't it?
>
> Depends on what you wrote and how you want it to be used. I did not
> think it safe to allow ordinary users to make *any* changes to the Exim
> configuration. That's why -D and -C are treated the same.

It seems sensable, and it whould be ok if it's possible to save root
permissions after rerun. Now here's no full permissions with macros
even if exim was ran by root. Now I can have two full-functional mail
subsystems only with two exim binaries, and it's not comfortable.

> > IMHO options like MACROS_DROP_PRIVS and ALT_CONFIG_DROP_PRIVS
> > (on by default) in the Local/Makefile would be helpful.
>
> Noted. (The CONFIG_PREFIX stuff is very new.)

Thanks.

I didn't found check for ".." in the alter config path.
Is it way to avoid ALT_CONFIG_PREFIX limitation?

--
                                Lucky carrier,
                                                  Pavel.