Re: [Exim] Re: death to mailer-daemon!

Author: WJCarpenter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: death to mailer-daemon!
ph> Exactly. Exim sends its bounces with a sender address of
ph> Mailer-Daemon@... Only spammers send mail with invalid senders,
ph> so you should be prepared to receive replies.

Other than by editing source and rebuilding Exim, is there a config to
change the bounce FROM: address? I get enough spam from that
localpart various places that it has certainly lost all meaning as a
reliable predictor of a bounce message.

I think I will add "mailer-daemon" to my small list of generic
addresses that I explicitly fail during SMTP. The failure message
gives an alternative address that humans can interpret and write to if
necessary.

Here's an example for another localpart that I don't actually use at
all and never have:

webmaster: :fail:This generic email address is not monitored. Too
much spam. Alas. If you are not a spammer, you could resend your
mail to "wmaster" at the same domain.

(If mail actually does arrive for "wmaster", it gets filtered into a
personal folder of mine that I would notice almost immediately, unlike
the the situation when it would have gone in with the tons of
"webmaster" spam I used to get every day.)
--
bill@??? (WJCarpenter)    PGP 0x91865119