Re: [Exim] Exim segfaults in daemon mode (daemon.c seems to …

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Richard Gration
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim segfaults in daemon mode (daemon.c seems to be the problem)
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Richard Gration wrote:

> 13:32:06 17872 originator: uid=0 gid=0 login=root name=root
> 13:32:06 17872 ---0 Get 0x80d13f0     8       daemon.c  922
> Segmentation fault

That debugging message is very early in Exim's execution, just before it
starts to set up for the daemon. One of the first things it does (in the
default configuration) is to find the addresses of the local interfaces
on your host. I seem to recall that somebody else had a problem which
was traced to this, but we never managed to get to the bottom of it.

A test and a workaround is to try setting local_interfaces to a list of
your IPs:

local_interfaces = 127.0.0.1 : 192.168.x.y

If it works with that setting, the problem is in the os.c source file,
in the code for determining the local interfaces in the function
os_common_find_running_interfaces(). As this is likely to be something
OS-specific, I can't do much to debug except to tell you where to look.
Adding debugging statements to the aforementioned function is going to
have to be the tool.

> I'm about to try compiling 4.23 which I've compiled without problem in
> the last month.

Presumably it then worked?

> exim-4.23 segfaults in the same way.

That is not surprising. There are very few differences between 4.23 and
4.24, as the latter is just a bug-fix release.

So what else has changed on your host in the last month?