Re: [Exim] 4.24 .include weirdness

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: David Saez
CC: Tony Finch, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] 4.24 .include weirdness
On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 11:34, David Saez wrote:
> Hi !
>
> > The file will already be in the OS's disk cache, so this would not be an
> > improvement.
>
> True, then there is no problem on having multiple includes as all be be cached
> by the OS ...

The files are very likely to be cached (unless you are into a swap
situation in which case you are already losing). However you still have
to go through the work of the open syscall, including working down the
pathname components, permissions checking etc.

If you were going to do the work of a shared mapping of the config, then
it might well be better to go the whole hog and map some form of
pre-parsed/pre-compiled config file - hey its back to the sendmail saved
config days (both forms of config were unreadable, one however was
binary as well).

    Nigel.