Debian & Exim4 (Was: Re: [Exim] Exim and Cyrus shared folder…

Author: Markus Fischer
To: exim-users
Subject: Debian & Exim4 (Was: Re: [Exim] Exim and Cyrus shared folders)
On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 12:05:44PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote :
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 10:47:46AM +0100, Matt Bernstein wrote:
> > On Sep 23 Jody Hay wrote:
> > >    I am running debian testing with Exim (3.36) and Cyrus Imap (1.5.19).

> > Although Debian has something of a reputation for running old versions of
> > software past their sell-by dates (such as Exim 3 and Cyrus 1.5), you
> > should find packages for Exim 4 and Cyrus 2.1 in testing.
> [...]
>
> At least exim4 is not yet in testing, it always was kept back by
> library dependencies. Currently it is waiting for the ten days
> testing period and for gcc-3.3 to propagate to testing, because on ARM
> exim links against libgcc1.
>
> http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/testing.pl
>
> However if you are not using an ARM machine you should curently be
> able to install exim4 4.22-5 from sid on testing without pulling
> anything else from unstable.

    I just wanted to let interested parties know that in fact I'm doing
    exactly this thing.

    I'm hoping that the next stable release targeted at december will be
    in time, also including the exim4 packages.

    The upside is that the debian package provide 'exim4-daemon-heavy'
    which also contains the exiscan patch.

    I'm mixing testing and unstable by putting deb-lines of both of them
    in /etc/apt/sources.list and putting the line

        APT::Default-Release "testing";

    in the file /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/default-release (create if it not
    exists).

    With a very low troubles I was able to set up everything,
    exim4+exiscan, cyrus21, clamav and spamassassin; without compiling
    anything from source (I prefer package management and let people be
    concerned about preparing software for have more knowledge about
    it).

    For security concerns I've installed currently stable (woody) on the
    system and installed a testing distribution in an chrooted
    environment and running all from the above mentioned services in
    there.

    Sorry for going offtopic; just thought it would be value for some.

    - Markus