[Exim] Downloading big mail folders over 56k Dial-up

Author: Jason Dale
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Downloading big mail folders over 56k Dial-up
Hi all,

I am running exim-3.13-1 on Red Hat Linux 6.2,
which handles incoming and outgoing mail for several domains.
Our clients connect to us from their Windows workstations,
and point to the exim as the incoming and outgoing mail server.

I am having large amounts of trouble with only the clients that use
a dial-up service to reach our mail server and the internet.
What tends to happen is that they leave their mail for a period of
time, to the extent that their mail folders grow to several megabytes
in size and beyond. When they try now try to download their mail,
the process is extremely slow, and the download crashes or stops
before completion. When they try again, the same thing happens,
except that they keep on downloading the same messages again
and again.

OK ... now for the questions:

1)  The fact that they download the same messages again and again
      suggest that only when all mail is downloaded will exim delete
      messages from it's folders. Is there any way I can get this to happen
      on a per-message basis?

2)  What could be causing such a slow download? there is nothing wrong
      with the dial-ups as far as I can ascertain. What can I do to solve
this
      problem? ourt clients use Microsoft Outlook and Outlook express
(various
      versions) as their mail clients

3)  Is there a way that I can get exim to 'break up' the big mail folders
and
     then send them in smaller batches to the users? this process must be
     as automated as possible, because currenty I am downloading their
     mail and sending them off one by one. Ideally, I should not want to
     change anything on our cleint's computers.

Thanks,

Jason