[Exim] DNS problem with Exim 4.20 under RedHat-9

Author: Stanier, Alan M
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] DNS problem with Exim 4.20 under RedHat-9
Hi

I have a test installation of Exim 4.20 on a machine running
RedHat 9, to check for problems before upgrading our true SMTP
hubs from version 4.05. I have run into a DNS problem I don't
understand. The configuration file is the one that works with
the 4.05 installations.

Here is the result of a -bt test, for my address

/usr/exim/bin/exim -bt -d-all+dns
Exim version 4.20 uid=0 gid=0 pid=5393 D=20
Berkeley DB: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.0.14: (November 18, 2001)
Support for:
Authenticators:
Routers: accept dnslookup ipliteral manualroute queryprogram redirect
Transports: appendfile autoreply pipe smtp
configuration file is /essex/exim/serlinux14_outgoing
log selector = 020091c8
trusted user
admin user
> alan

DNS lookup of exchange5 (A) gave HOST_NOT_FOUND
returning DNS_NOMATCH
alan@??? cannot be resolved at this time:
lookup of host "exchange5" failed in exchange router
> ^C

If I read this right, the system works out (correctly)
that my mail should be sent on to exchange5, but the DNS
lookup of that fails.

However, there is an A-record for exchange5 ...

[root@serlinux06 exim-4.20]# nslookup -sil
> exchange5

Server:         155.245.48.10
Address:        155.245.48.10#53

exchange5.essex.ac.uk canonical name = sernt4.essex.ac.uk.
Name: sernt4.essex.ac.uk
Address: 155.245.48.30

I am confused!

Can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong? Are there configuration
options in 4.20 that mean my 4.05 configurtion file needs some
editing?

--------
Alan Stanier
Essex University Information Systems Services
Systems Group