Re: [Exim] Verisign pulls a fast one

Author: Walt Reed
To: Ralf G. R. Bergs
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Verisign pulls a fast one
On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 09:16:08AM +0200, Ralf G. R. Bergs said:
> Walt Reed wrote:
> >>Wouldn't that assume that Verisign created MX records for those domains?
> >
> >Many mail servers fall back to the A record when no MX exists.
>
> If I'm not totally mistaken, this is the "correct"(TM) behavior, not
> just something "many" mail servers do.

There are broken mailers that don't. In fact, it's pretty rare to find
an MTA that doesn't violate at least one provision of some RFC.

This may actually be a case where the RFC behavior is no longer 100% desired.

Anyone have an ACL that rejects based on missing MX records for the
sender domain? I would guess that very little non-spam domains are
missing MX records. Collateral damage would be minimal. If anything, it
would be a useful additional score for spamassasin.