Re: [Exim] "transparent" smtp server

Autor: Tony Earnshaw
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] "transparent" smtp server
John W. Baxter wrote:
[...]
> Authentication would be nice. As soon as Netscape 4 and earlier go away
> (Netscape 4 requires a password at the first attempted send each time it is
> started up, and users "resist"*), we'd like to require authentication. But
> by then some other MUA will come into use which doesn't speak SMTP AUTH the
> way Exim does. Sigh!

FWIW Mozilla 4 (easy to install as an upgrade to NS 4) "speaks" standard
SASL and chooses automatically from what the ehlo to Exim 4 advertises.
Mozilla chooses CRAM-MD5 before plain, if its advertised - and MD5 is
the way to go, especially if you don't use TLS.

You probably wouldn't be interested, but Evolution (gtk - Linux/new
Solaris et co.) does more or less the same.

--Tonni

--
Tony Earnshaw

Millom kaksar eg litet kann trivast, millom jamningar helst er eg nøgd

http://www.billy.demon.nl
Mail: tonni@???