Re: [Exim] "transparent" smtp server

Author: Chris Knipe
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] "transparent" smtp server

Yeah, it definately is. In SA (specific) most ISPs uses virtual dialup
networks from other 1st tier providers. Obviously, the ISP (2nd tier)
*MUST* use auth to allow only *their* customers to relay their email via the
ISPs mail servers... Remember, the actual IP address can be assigned by any
1st tier ISP to any user from any 2nd tier company.... From what I saw so
far, it would still be possible. Due to obvious reasons, I want to avoid a
situation where anything needs to change on the client side. Frankly, just
think of the possibilities should this be done right... Transparent SMTP
firewalls?? Transparent Spam filters?? The list goes on really. IMHO this
could be something extremely usefull.

I basically want everything to happen server side. I took authentication as
a example (as I know that in THIS case, it is going to be my biggest
problem). But should we be able to get exim to accept any auth / cert
regardless of what is provided, well yeah... I think the possibilities are
endless here really.

Time provide it, I'll more than likely start fiddeling a little bit in a day
or two's time... I have a bit more importaint stuff ATM like getting my
phone systems to work again *SCREAAM*

--
me