Re: [Exim] Multi-condition ACL statement in a macro possible…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Pat Lashley
CC: exim-users, Pat Lashley, Robert Kehl
Subject: Re: [Exim] Multi-condition ACL statement in a macro possible?
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Pat Lashley wrote:

> Hey, let's not ruin a perfectly good bikeshed discussion by injecting
> common sense. :-)

Sorry. :-)

> And it might not take that much of a redesign - I was really aiming at
> just eliminating the lexical scanning and some of the parsing overhead
> at the point where the cofig file is read.

For maximum speed you'd want to read the file into memory and that's
all. To do that, you need to arrange for all the variables to map onto a
fixed memory image. This is not what currently happens. The variables
that are set by config are intermixed with other global variables.

> > Most Exim configs probably fit in a disk block or two.
>
> According to du, the configure.default on my FreeBSD system takes 54
> blocks. I suspect that's very close to the average size; with actual
> installations tending to be only a block or two larger.

I keep forgetting that some file systems have really small block sizes
these days. But yes, I guess if people keep all the comments in the
default config, it is bigger than I was suggesting.

> (But, like I said, it's a bikeshed...)

Why don't you patch your Exim to measure the time it takes to read your
config (cpu, real), and see if it is at all significant???

Philip