Re: [Exim] "transparent" smtp server

Author: Pat Lashley
To: Chris Knipe, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] "transparent" smtp server
--On Monday, September 15, 2003 19:06:49 +0200 Chris Knipe
<savage@???> wrote:

> I'm currently contemplating on attempting to setup a "transparent" exim
> server... I have a client with mainly laptops on their office network, and
> they have very good reason to want to use a internal smtp server (Mainly
> due to control / reporting / etc). Now, because these laptops are
> mobile, the majority of them go home at night, and the majority of them
> uses dialup in the evenings and days to send emails... It is mainly win
> based OSes, and from what I can see, neither outlook nor oe has the
> options to specify different smtp servers for different types of
> connections - and even if they do, none that is easy accessible without
> spending allot of time to configure it.

The first thing you should do is -very- strongly suggest that they
stop using any form of Outlook. Remind them that almost all of the
worms that have been causing so much trouble target Outlook security
flaws. I personally recommend Mulberry (http://www.cyrusoft.com)
to my customers; but there are several good mail clients avaliable.

-Pat