[Exim] Re: LDAP Caching?

Author: Patrick Starrenburg
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Re: LDAP Caching?
On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 19:50:43 GMT, "Kevin W. Reed" <listaccount@???>
wrote:

> I will be attempting to setup a LDAP lookup shortly at work connecting
> to a Exchange 5.5 system to perform address validation for a domain.
>
> Never done it before but it looks pretty straight forward. I'm still
> gathering details and have been collecting samples I've seen for
> months.
>
> I was asked a question at a meeting that I had no idea..
>
> Is it possible to cache the queries to the LDAP server? Is there some
> way within Exim to do that?
>
> They seemed concerned that the number of queries would put a load on
> the server. One option was to use a bridgehead server which already
> exists and was going to be discontinued but we might use it just for
> that purpose.

We have LDAP working with Exchange 5.5 in slightly different way. We do
LDAP queries to Exchange 5.5 server and plug them into a DB file. The
LDAP lookup is checked multiple times during the day and DIFFed against
current DB and address changes get imported. The delay for new/changed
addresses to get into DB file is acceptable and obviously can be adjusted
for your preference.

FYI - Exchange 5.5 does not store email addresses in W2K Active Directory
LDAP database (this only started with Exchange 2000) so you will have to
do LDAP directly against Exchange 5.5 (it's not the best LDAP...)

We have the full setup all documented in a PDF document, if you want a
copy just send me an off list email (we don't want to post on list as it
has some company stuff in it).

This bypasses the whole caching thing and lookups (against DB file) are
very fast. Works well.

Patrick