Re: [Exim] Re: LDAP Caching?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Robert Kehl
A: Suresh Ramasubramanian, exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Re: LDAP Caching?
----- Original Message -----
From: "Suresh Ramasubramanian" <linux@???>
Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2003 2:20 PM
> At 05:30 PM 9/14/2003, Tony Earnshaw wrote:
> >With Openldap 2.1 latest versions and BDB 4.1, the server caches, but
> >what G*d awful Microsoft AD does I wouldn't know. I think Exim, in
> >common with many clients, re-uses client connects - "remembers" them

for
> >a certain time. Certainly lookups after the first lookup, which costs

an
> >appreciable lookup time, happen instantaneously, for a given period

of
> >time (but perhaps that's my local BDB 4.1 doing the caching). Perhaps
> >this would be enough for OP to convince his Windows people to *try*,

at
> >any rate.
> That's what exim does as far as I remember from a brief time ages

back,
> when I tried playing with LDAP, and ran away screaming.

I got LDAP up'n'running, and for sure exim spits out a lot of queries
during its work! If you configured your LDAP server correctly and do
definitly provide a high speed connection between the two, you shouldn't
experience any difficulties. My LDAP is used for resolving aliases,
mantaining the addressbooks and authenticating users (exim, LAN). I sold
solutions like these to customers and they are highly pleased with it.

Keep the LDAP box free from the public to avoid load due to DoS or
similar games, keep down the amount of logging, and always remember:
You're running a dictionary server, not xeyes... so do provide enough
capabilities such as hard disk space, and CPU power - don't try the old
386 you might now be using as a door stopper ;).

Regards,

Robert Kehl