[Exim] Expansion of wildlsearch keys: opinions sought

Author: Philip Hazel
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Expansion of wildlsearch keys: opinions sought
I've just become aware of something that is almost a typo, but which
could affect some people if changed.

The "wildlsearch" lookup, which was introduced in release 4.11,
currently expands its keys. This happens because the keys are matched
using a general matching function that is used for domain lists and
other things, and they are always expanded. At least, that is what I
must have thought at the time.

I've had a complaint about this, because it is different and unexpected,
(wish list #184) so I've just looked at the code. It turns out that a
single character change will turn this expansion off.

I do not know why I didn't notice this at the time, because I'm sure I
would have preferred to implement non-expanded keys.

Anyway, the question is, should I just change wildlsearch so that keys
are no longer expanded, or should I introduce a new kind of lookup?

One problem is that I carefully documented the current state, and
recommended the use of \N for regular expression keys. Anybody who has
followed that recommendation will be in trouble if the behaviour is
changed. It is now 9 months since 4.11 was released, so many people may
be relying on this.

I think I'm going to have to introduce a new lookup name. My current
best proposal is "patlsearch" (for "pattern").

What do people think about this?

Philip