Re: [Exim] wishlist, or not? log rotation on install

Author: John Jetmore
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] wishlist, or not? log rotation on install
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:

> it would be kinda nice if exim rotated the old logs on install
>
> ie, if the logfiles that exim was compiled with exist already, they are
> rotated
>
> i've been doing this manually (well, i invoke a script, but i manually
> invoke it) whenever i upgrade -- but it would be nice if it was built
> into exim.

Just to provide a counterpoint, I would be quite upset if I installed a
new binary and my logs were rotated. Not to mention the confusion of how
one handles the symlink option (can't remember what it's called). Is the
new binary installed when 'make install' is run, or when the symlink is
created? Even then, nothing really happens until you HUP the daemon
(assuming -bd).

--John