Re: [Exim] Alias one domain to another

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Sheldon Hearn, exim-users, Oliver Eikemeier
CC: Laura Proseilo (List Account)
Subject: Re: [Exim] Alias one domain to another
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> > I'm trying to sort out how to alias an entire domain onto another domain
> > with Exim, so that any addresses added to domain1 are automatically aliased
> > to domain2. Right now, the only way seems to manually alias individual
> > email address, and as we have several hundred accounts with one to four
> > domains to alias on to each, this is a real pain.
>
> See the "Address rewriting" section of the Specification, e.g.
>
>    *@virtual.example.com    $1@???

> where virtual.example.com is the domain for which you have configuration,
> and alias.example.com is the domain whose configuration should be copied
> from it.

That answer assumes you want the addresses in the messages to be
rewritten, which is not the same (in my mind, at least), as "aliasing".
I think of "aliasing" not as rewriting, but as a way of routing one
address to the same place as another address. If that is indeed what you
want, then my answer is (almost) the way to do it.

General note: rewriting is not intended to be a routing mechanism.

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:

> > alias_dom1_to_dom2:
> > driver = redirect
> > domains = dom1
> > data = $local_part@dom2
>
> Exim manual, 11.8. Expansion variables:
>
> If you use $local_part to create another address, you should always wrap it
> inside a quoting operator. For example, in a redirect router you could have:
>
> data = ${quote:$local_part}@???

Oops. Yes, indeed. I should read my own manual more often!