Re: [Exim] Wishlist # 189 redux

Author: John Dalbec
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Wishlist # 189 redux

Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, John Dalbec wrote:
>

>>I wouldn't mind being able to logwrite to syslog or mainlog from the
>>system_filter.
>

> Do you run your system filter as root or exim? If not (i.e. you have set
> system_filter_user=somethingelse), writing the mainlog would not be
> possible.

I run the system_filter as exim, but I'm concerned about the locking
issues. Would I get logwrite lines in the middle of other log lines?
Or does Exim write lines to its logfiles atomically?

>>Then I could bitbucket some of the SoBig attachments
>>without losing logging or having to set up an additional logfile with
>>matching rotation scripts. Actually it would also work for me if
>>exicyclog could easily be configured to rotate additional logfiles.
>

> Some operating systems contain general log-rotating software that you
> can configure. If yours does not, perhaps there is something you could
> install?

I suppose I could configure this, but my log-summarizing software would
have to be reconfigured also.
Thanks,
John