Re: [Exim] quote: operator and empty local-part

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Philip Hazel
Para: Paul Overell
CC: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [Exim] quote: operator and empty local-part
On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Paul Overell wrote:

> But when I wish to restore the quoted form of the address using the
> quote: operator as per the example in 17.12.1 "Quoting addresses" in the
> Exim 4 book:
>
>         data = ${quote:$local_part}@???

> Exim fails to quote the local-part so I end up with
>
>         @example.com

> Which is illegal under RFC2821.

Oh dear. In fact ${quote: is rather overkill for local parts, and there
is a wish list item asking for ${quote_local_part: which is more
accurate.

But both of them should probably quote empty strings; I'd never thought
of that.

> If the quote: operator is intended to produce legal RFC2821 local-parts,
> as the example in the book suggests, then it needs to quote the empty
> string.

It's a by-product that it (usually) produces legal local parts, but a
useful one. So it ought to be fixed, I guess.