Re: [Exim] Hashing level 2.

Author: Yann Golanski
To: Sheldon Hearn
CC: Guillermo Llenas, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Hashing level 2.
--
Quoth Sheldon Hearn on Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:08:10 +0200
> > > /export/mail/mydomain.com/p/e/pepe , this is using directories equal to
> > > domain and the first letter and the second letter (if any). This is
> > > hash-spool=2.
> >
> > This is a terrible way of doing things. Names are not evenly spread by
> > the alphabet and you will end up with directories empty and some over
> > full.
>
> It's only terrible from the perspective of a computer scientist. :-)

I'm a mathematician so really are you suprised? ;>

The non-even split is a problem if you have some million of users as we
did with Freeserve. It was the reason for the nhash code. To be fiar,
the nhash code is pretty ugly and I would do something much better now.
Ah well...

--
yann@???                  -=*=-                      www.kierun.org
    PGP:   009D 7287 C4A7 FD4F 1680  06E4 F751 7006 9DE2 6318