[Exim] Re: AW: Attachments and bounce messages

Author: Patrick Starrenburg
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Re: AW: Attachments and bounce messages
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 20:05:28 GMT, Philip Hazel <ph10@???>
wrote:

> Exim does not bounce attachments *as attachments*. It just copies the
> textual form of the original message in the body of the bounce.

Philip do you know if all mail servers work in the same way as Exim in this
regard? Since the Sobig virus has been active we have received hundreds of
bounce failure notifications such as below from our second line anti-virus.

================================
Source mailbox: ""
Destination mailbox(es): forged_local_user@our_domain.com
Attachment file name: document_all.pif - application/octet-stream
Action: Attachment Removal

which gives impression that the virus has returned as an intact attachment.

This is what prompted me to propose, in my earlier posting, the blocking of
messages at SMTP conversation time where they are incoming bounces with
attachments.

Regards

Patrick