Re: [Exim] Problems with exim running on port 25 / Debian

Author: Enkidu
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Problems with exim running on port 25 / Debian
On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 07:35:30 +0100, you wrote:

>Been using exim on Debian for around a year - with the standard 3.3x
>dist for the stable release without a problem
>
>Recently updated it via apt-get from a security release and started to
>experience problems.
>
>The internal routing on the machine is fine ... But anything coming in
>externally over port 25 gets the heave ho
>

>Any ideas? I've had to resort to a lousy windows MTA I get it fixed.
>
>A telnet to it establishes a connection and drops it immediately
>
>Trying 192.168.0.3...
>Connected to 192.168.0.3.
>Escape character is '^]'.
>Exim is a Mail Transfer Agent. It is normally called by Mail User
>Agents,
>not directly from a shell command line. Options and/or arguments control
>what it does when called. For a list of options, see the Exim
>documentation.
>Connection closed by foreign host.

Mmm, the message implies that it is trying run from a command line. If
you go to a command prompt and type "exim4" you will see that exact
message. A telnet to port 25 normally gives the banner. Somehow it is
being invoked from a shell.

Between exim 3 and exim 4 debian moved exim from inetd.conf to run
standalone. I'd look to see if it somehow didn't get commented out of
inetd.conf. or something. Or maybe there's something wrong with the
/etc/inet.d/exim4 script. Just guesses.....

Cheers,

Cliff

that the conspiracy is working.