Re: [Exim] removing headers from :fail:ed emails

Author: John Jetmore
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] removing headers from :fail:ed emails
On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, John Jetmore wrote:
>
> > 1) is there a better way than headers to get information that pertains to
> > all recipients from local_scan into routing? headers was just the first
> > thing I thought of.
>
> You can return a string that gets put into $local_scan_data.

That is certainly the path I was looking for (preserving data w/o altering
the message), but the size of the data I need to pass is a function of
the number and length of recipient address, so I can't guarantee <1000
chars.

On the plus side, I got the autoreply idea you suggested working
really well. The only difference between it and a :fail: at this point is
that multiple failed recips each generate their own email instead of all
being returned in one bounce, which is hopefully inconsequential.

Thanks for your help on this!
--John