RE: [Exim] rejecting based on HELO

Author: Rick Cooper
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] rejecting based on HELO

You should not see a helo of this type unless it's from a host on your local
net or if it's a local user accessing the mail service from remote (as in
home). If you allow users "off site" access to the mail service you will
find, probably, 100% of them do not use a windows domain at home. In any
event it should be one of your users. The following works here (1st rcpt acl
entry):

#Check for FQDN if not a local host or a local user or at least one "."

deny message = We Require a FQDN as a helo please
hosts = !+local_net
condition = ${if and \
    {\
        {!exists {/virtualuserdirectory/Maildir-$sender_address_local_part}}\
        {!match {$sender_helo_name}{\N^[^.].*\.[^.]+$\N}}\
    }\
    {yes}{no}}

+local_net contains the obvious 127.0.0.1 and our local xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/25
and the !match passes on our local V-users but bear in mind there are, of
course, many checks below this one and the most important is that all local
users must validate. So if the sender_address_local_part gets a pass here,
and passes all the spam, virus, spoofing, etc it will fail at the
authentication check later on.

The checks for name/address spoofing go in the helo acl section but this one
catches the non FQDN if not a validated local user.

Rick