[Exim] Relaying question

Author: Johann Spies
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Relaying question
A bit of background is necessary before I an ask the question:

We have three exim servers which function as email gateways for our
campus: maties1 (exim 4.05), maties2 (exim 4.05) and maties3 (exim
4.10). They are part of mail.sun.ac.za. At the moment they handle up
to 200000 emails per day.

We experience some problems with some (4 or 5) mail servers which refuse
maties3 access. In at least one case communication with the system
administrator on the other side confirmed that Firewall-1 was blocking
maties3. We could so far not determine why. I suspect that in the
other cases the cause might also be a firewall.

Now my question: Is there a safe way to relay all mail to the affected
domains from maties3 to either maties1 or maties2 to deliver it
without the risk of creating an open relay?

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded
      us according to our iniquities. For as the heaven is
      high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward
      them that fear him. As far as the east is from the
      west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from
      us."     Psalms 103:10-12