Re: AW: [Exim] Bombarded by pif attachments

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: AW: [Exim] Bombarded by pif attachments
On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Graham Dodd wrote:

> I would like to add a log message (exim_main.log) whenever an unwanted file
> extension is caught and I'm not sure whether to use message or log_message

To the best of my recollection and understanding, E&OE:

When you use "deny", the "message" will be used in the 5xx response to
the other MTA, *as well as* being recorded in the log.

If you want a different message in the log than what is sent to the
other MTA, then use log_message in addition. This is what you do, for
example for diagnostic reasons, to log extra detail of what you did,
that you don't wish to reveal to the other party (such as spammers).

If you don't specify a "message", then some system default message is
used.

When you use "warn", the specified "message" appears as an extra
header (so use X-something: at the start of the message). If you want
something to also appear in the log, then use log_message in addition.

If you don't specify a "message", then no extra header appears: one
can use "warn" in this way for e.g making calculations on the ACL
message variables. Again, if you want something logged at this point,
use log_message

Beyond that, I'd have to say Read The Friendly Documentation, and
Feel Free to Try It ;-)