Re: [Exim] exim RPM build trouble

Author: Neal D. Becker
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim RPM build trouble
On Thursday 04 September 2003 08:28 am, Neal D. Becker wrote:
> I am trying to put together a Redhat exim RPM to submit to Fedora. I am
> running into one problem. Make buildconfig refuses to continue unless
> EXIM_USER and EXIM_GROUP are already installed on the system.
>
> This is unfortunate, since it means we must add the passwd entries at build
> time, rather than at install time. I believe this is not really standard
> behaviour for a source RPM build.
>
> I wonder, can I just remove the checks from buildconfig.c to allow the
> build to proceed anyway?  Then patch config.h to add
> #define EXIM_UID              93
> #define EXIM_GID              93

> Any other suggestion?

I have gotten two private responses regarding this issue. I need to get a
concensus here on what is the correct approach.

Nigel has previously commented:
http://www.exim.org/mailman/htdig/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20030512/053926.html

I'm not sure exactly what the objection is.

It is a pain to have to create the exim user in order to do the build. Is
there a problem to run exim under either mail or maybe mailnull, both of
which already exist on a RH9 system?