Re: [Exim] Suffixes passed to LMTP transport (cyrus)?

Author: Philip Hazel
CC: Matt Bernstein
Subject: Re: [Exim] Suffixes passed to LMTP transport (cyrus)?
On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, I wrote:

> > Would it be outrageous to suggest that the default configuration file
> > only rejects local-parts which begin with "/" (and "|" too!) as it
> > does with "."?
>
> Not at all. In fact, probably a good idea. Originally there was only one
> regex, and I wanted to keepit simple. But now that there are two
> anyway...

I take that all back. Now that I think about it, I don't think it makes
sense. The point of blocking slashes was to help with cases such as
mailing lists, where the Exim configuration has a setting such as

file = /usr/lists/$local_part

A slash could be troublesome anywhere in the local part. Similarly, a
pipe symbol could cause trouble anywhere in a local part if it is
unthinkingly incorporated into a shell command.